Would like Limelight, but...

rgustafs(VA - Zone 7)April 8, 2012

I REALLY want to put a Limelight in a bed I created two years ago on the NW corner of my townhouse. The bed gets afternoon sun starting at about 1:30 or 2 pm. Is that enough sun for Limelight?

Also, the bed is smaller so once the hydrangea is more mature, I'd need to keep it more narrow -- like at about 4.5-5' around. It can get as tall as it likes, as I really want it to cover the eyesore that is the white downspout on my red bricks (thanks, condo association!) Will my hacking at the width be too much for it? I thought about Little Lime, but I really want the height...

I am also thinking of adding Limelights in full sun in an area that is currently covered with a ground cover of English Ivy. I am thinking I will carve out a bed, amend it slightly, and put a few in to create some privacy and drama as you come around the corner and into the garden in the SW corner of my condo.

Thoughts are much appreciated. I really want to stick with white/chartreuse-y flowers. I am a long-time annuals gardener, but I am branching out slowly. I am sure I will have a million more Qs as the weather continues to warm.

Thanks!

rgustafs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rgustafs(VA - Zone 7)

Oh yeah. I am in Virginia, as I am sure that will make a difference in your answers.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 10:55PM
jemboysch

rgustafs,
I am a big fan of limelights (kind of an obsession) so I can tell you they can handle severe pruning, just not to the ground (I've read this). My only concern with the limited sun is that it may not grow as quickly into the height you are looking for - but I bet it will eventually with selective pruning. I've read the flowers stay green longer with less sun.
It will do great in full sun and is not the water hog that other hydrangeas are. I love this plant and have it all over my yard. I am sure you will too.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:23AM
hammybee(z5/Chicago)

Consider Little Lime, a smaller version of Limelight.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 3:08PM
Mari_88(7a)

So will Limelight really thrive in full afternoon sun. How much shade will it actually tolerate? Thanks!

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 3:09PM
jemboysch

Limelights thrive in full sun - at least 6 hours per day. They can take some shade but I have read that with dense shade you will be disappointed by the lack of blooms. I would say no more than dappled afternoon shade.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™