Expecting frost Wed morning...

carrie630(z7bNC)April 6, 2009

and my Pee Gee and Unique Moth Hydrangeas have already leafed out (I don't really cut them back because I like them big)... I will try and throw a sheet over them, but would 31 for a short time completely zap the leaves? Thanks

carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Carrie no, 31 briefly overnight shouldn't be a concern - you could sheet but I don't think necessary.

My own had foliage buds opening about three weeks ago when we got down into rare-for-March mid 20's overnight, three nights in a row. I did cover with sheets, but two nights since then it's reached 29 and I've left them uncovered, they haven't skipped a beat.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 11:24AM
tazebell

I got three nikko's bare root and potted them up. One barely leafed out before dropping them. The two others were leafing out just fine so silly me sat them outside for more sun. I guess it got colder/windier than I expected - something like 35 F and those hydrangeas really didn't take it well. They suffered frost damage and those nice leaves wilted and fell over. (It got a tray of peas that were doing good, also). My question- will these sorry excuses for hydras sprout out new life? Each of them is simply one stem in a pot, and I am not seeing swelled buds or anything. Should I take the clippers and cut off a bit to encourage growth? Thanks.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 1:20PM
esh_ga

tazebell, just let them be for now. Plants don't need you to cut off parts at this point to encourage growth - they have already gotten the message that they need to do so thanks to Mother Nature's nip. Cutting now risks the chance that you cut too much. Let them sprout new buds and then you can prune off any dead looking tips afterwards.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™