Why don't my Impatiens have flowers???

tinaw_2008June 11, 2008

I planted my impatiens in pots about a month ago. The plants are doing GREAT, but there are very few flowers. Out of a whole flat, I have about 6 blooms. I see buds appearing, but then they're suddenly gone. Could something be eating them? Like I said, it's just the flowers, not the leaves. And not even the flowers that manage to bloom, just the buds. The only insects I see hanging around are ants. Do ants eat impatiens? HELP!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Well I can tell you ant dont eat Impatiens. I am wondering what kind they are. Are they doubles? These are well know for dropping buds. I'm also wondering if birds think the buds are bugs and pulling them off.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 9:59PM
auhort1990(8a)

I am having the same problem with the Fusion series of Impatiens. They have a TON of buds but they never open...just drop off.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 12:56PM
tinaw_2008

No, they aren't double impatiens. I don't think the buds are dropping off, as I don't see any lying around. I suppose the bird thing is possible. I'm like a woman posessed with this whole thing. I go out there several times a day, or look out the window to try to catch someone or something in the act! :-D

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 10:16AM
seattletwodogs(5)

I,too,have fewer flowers this year. Some have either died or are in the process of doing so. Others have a few flowers or buds but not close to the lush appearance of recent years.

I feel it has to be the Miracle-Gro( which has worked well in the past) or the Home Depot batch I got this year. They are in the same 4 locations as previously used and I'm watering them the same.

On another post coffee grounds and peat moss were advised. Worth a try.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 10:29PM
mindysuewho

This has happened to my impatiens in past years when I used Miracle Gro. Too much Miracle Gro makes for beautiful leaves but no flowers. I now just use slow release fertizer twice during the season and they are fine.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 1:51AM
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

MiracleGrow is great if it'd stop RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 9:20AM
noworries4now_aol_com

The buds and flowers on my impatiens are being eaten by something, and I've never had this trouble before. Usually the buds are eaten before they have a chance to open. I can see they've been nibbled down to the stem; tiny remnants of the flower remain. The leaves are left undisturbed. Each time I check the plants a half dozen or more medium red ants are crawling on them. Even though people on this site have said that ants don't eat impatiens I'm going to spray the plants for ants to determine if that solves the problem. I'll let you know. I'd love to know if anyone figures this one out!

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 12:58PM
lanzz

Zippity, I have has this issue all summer. My impatien flowers are being eaten - I see lots of ants on them, so I keep thinking it is an ant problem.

What did your issue turn out to be? I am on the 20th floor, so it isn't deer or anything like that - and I do not think it is a bird issue.

Fungus? Insects? Something else? Driving me nuts.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 11:16AM
buttercupia(zone4 IA)

three things come to mind... first.. if it looks like something is eating them, look with a flashlight a couple hours after dark and see if earwigs, slugs or both are eating them.. then treat accordingly if necessary... sluggo or diatomaceous earth... otherwise, be sure you are not watering \ too much..give them a chance to dry out some between waterings,. then do not overfertilize them... that's all I can think of right now.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
New Guinea Impatiens flowers fading fast
Hi all, I planted my NGI in a bed back in May. It took...
valeriej1
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™