Leggy impatiens in a strawberry pot

bergie42June 18, 2006

I have been looking for a second strawberry pot because I always plant the one I have with impatiens and thought I'd like to do another. I just found one, but the impatiens I bought are quite leggy. My question is...is it OK to bury a large part of the stem in the dirt in the pot so that just the flowers stick out or would it be better to plant as is and prune them back?

It would seem to me that those stems would rot if they were pulled into the pot and buried. And, if I prune them, there might be nothing left except stems! A dilemma! Anyone have an opinion?

By the way, the deer just got an entire whiskey barrel full of impatiens!!!! It's a bit too early to have that happen! Ah, the joys of living in the north woods!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heathjez

I have the same problem with my impatiens, bergie42! I want to trim them back, but if I do, I will be left with a huge pot of stems since all the flowers are at the top of the leggy plants.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
indylars(Indianapolis 5)

Pinch back! And give em a good shot of water soluble fertil;izer and they will rebound quickly!

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Insecticidal soap killed my impatiens
The subject of my post says it all: I sprayed an insecticidal...
rhaine86
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™