Instructions for planting balsamina impatiens?

lwelch(7 Middle Tennessee)June 5, 2009

I have some "Tom Thumb" balsamina impatiens seeds. How deeply should the seeds be planted? I read one place that I should plant them about 1" deep, but another website mentioned that the seeds need light for germination. I'm not sure which is accurate. (This is my first posting on the garden forum--thank you for any help you can give me!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

A rule of thumb when planting any seed is to plant them as deep as the seed is thick. I have grown balsaam, both the tall one and tom thumb, many times but I've never sown then in the ground, I've grown them in the house or greenhouse. 1 inch is too deep. They only need to be about 1/4 inch deep.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 8:44AM
lwelch(7 Middle Tennessee)

Thanks for the advice, Oilpainter! The rule of thumb is good to know for future planting, too. From what I've read, balsam impatiens reseed naturally, and I don't imagine nature plants them an inch deep, so I'm going to follow your advice and plant them very shallowly.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 2:33PM
oilpainter(3)

They won't reseed in the north, but they probably do where there is no frost. If you save the seeds you probably won't get the same small ones. The tom thumb is a hybrid that was introduced about 10 years ago. The original Balsaam is a plant about 18 inches tall

Hybrid seeds may revert back to the original form. Balsaam seed is relatively cheap though so if you like them I'd suggest you buy the seed.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:34PM
northforker

Just wanted to share that I grew these from seed for the first time last year and I DID get some reseeding. Not a lot---about 7 seedlings. We are not all that far north though and they were in a slightly protected area (around an outdoor shower that protects in the winter from strong winds.

My routine this year to get lots of them: I planted them very shallowly in a tin lasanga pan with drain holes w/ a tall plastic dome punched with holes in April. Had germination in May and planted out last week.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 10:37PM
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Not an impatiens expert here, Balsam impatiens reseed readily here in my Zone 5b/6a garden. I planted some 4 years ago and have not had to buy seed since. I just move them from where they come up to where I want them. These are the tall old fashioned balsam, not the minis.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 8:11AM
juliethegardener(9)

I have about a million of these guys on my property. Once you have an established plant, the next year you will have a thousand, and so on and so on. I believe that if you just broadcast the seeds, as what happens in nature, you'll be fine. I now have so many that I have to weed them out of my pots, cracks in the sidewalk, etc.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
Wimpy New Guinea Impatiens :(
I bought this particular NGI (the orange one on the...
christy51274
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
Sponsored Products
Onion Blossom Maker
$5.99 | zulily
Catherine Six-Light Chrome Finish with Clear-Crystals Chandelier
$504.00 | Bellacor
Mix Tape Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$49.99 | zulily
Illumine Chandeliers 3-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Mini Chandelier with Wilshire
Home Depot
Gray Granite Stone Vessel Sink 24"x16" - DUNE
Living'ROC