cannas in containers

stan_ia_z4(z4 ia)January 26, 2010

How successful are cannas grown in containers? Will they bloom? What size container is required?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asters(5)

Cannas do v. well in containers. I always keep a few leftovers and grow them indoors as houseplants in 8 inch pots over the winter. They often bloom (not yet this year....)

But..., I stick to smaller varieties. My largest outside containers are whiskey barrels, and I typically use 3 foot cannas in those. As an example, "Tropical Sunrise" (3 ft) is a variety I might consider for this use. Once they're in a tall container, they seem tall. Horn Canna Farm has a nice selection w/photos online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horn Canna Farm

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 5:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris321(z5IA)

Hi Stan,I use cannas in my container planting a lot. I use a canna as the "something tall " background plant & have fillers & spillers.I use Tropicanna & Bengal Tiger a lot in my mixed container plantings.You don't want to use a large bulb.3 shoots are about right for a mixed pot. A whiskey barrel would accomodate a large planting. They like lots of water! I've had them break a pot because they got too large. Sometimes what you plant doesn't seem too big,but there can be dormant eyes that will send up new shoots.

I used to have a shorter,dark leaf one with kind of a salmon red flower.I bought it as Wyoming,but I'm not sure it was. I saw it at your garden & you didn't call it Wyoming.I liked it because it bloomed so readily.

I just love growing in containers,maybe because planting at ground level becomes harder every year LOL
But,you do have to be home to water them.
Doris

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
What Iowa places do you buy plants
I posted this on Mid West. But like to find good places...
Baumer
Getting help cleaning up Iowa rivers and creeks
A lot of creeks and rivers being blocked from down...
koszta_kid
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
larryiniowa
Creek clean up
Getting ready to write editor at Cedar rapids Gazette...
koszta_kid
Sponsored Products
Teak Shower Caddy with Removable Soap Dish
Signature Hardware
Caged Mini Pendant No. 1310 by Quorum International
$57.50 | Lumens
WAC White Xenon 12" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Virginia Floral Beige Rugs (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Large Single Bowl TruGranite Kitchen Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets