Busy lizzie

DavidmGeary(9)June 10, 2014

The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidmGeary(9)

The big picture

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 4:20PM
patchyjack(10a)

Oooh cool!
I don't know if I'd call that a busy lizzie, though!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:23AM
marguerite_gw

When you don't see the plant in bud as here, it is easy to think it might be the old-fashioned busy lizzie - it happened to me before - I got a surprise when the buds and blooms appeared.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 6:31AM
DavidmGeary(9)

This is not a picture of the old Fashioned Busy lizzy ..this is a hybrid busy lizzy with a strange yellow and red blossom i don't know much about this variety but it is most definitely a busy lizzy you need only look at the foliage (leaves) to see that it is an impatien...of the hybrid variety ..the old Fashioned Busy lizzy with small pink blossoms can grow much taller i have one that measures 5 feet tall this is the one that i refer to as the old Fashioned pink busy lizzy ....i hope this helps ...i will post a collection of all the different varieties that i have soon as i can...

Bookmark   January 12, 2015 at 1:55PM
patchyjack(10a)

David, that's no busy lizzie (Impatiens Walleriana), and it's not a hybrid either.
You were right in thinking it's an Impatiens, though!
What you have there is another member of the Impatiens genus, Impatiens Niamniamensis.

It's an absolutely great little perennial. I have one on a sunny window sill indoors and it flowers almost all the time. It grows from cuttings like a busy lizzie too.

Bookmark   January 12, 2015 at 5:03PM
DavidmGeary(9)

Thanks for the info Jack ...i got this one as a present and was misinformed obviously ..the person who got it for me told me that it was a hybrid but i agree with you its more like a cousin to the busy lizzy ..that explains a lot but the other photo i posted is the old Fashioned pink busy lizzy of which i have plenty of cuttings ...let me know if you would like a few.....thanks again for the info Jack..

Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 6:13AM
patchyjack(10a)

No sweat, David.
I'd love cuttings but I live in Australia, and customs wouldn't allow it. It's a shame because real old Busy Lizzies are hard to come by!

Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 6:21AM
DavidmGeary(9)

Ah that's a shame this is the old fashioned busy lizzy that i grew from a cutting...this is where my passion for impatiens started...anyway with your climate in Australia i bet you can grow some great plants.thanks again for the info they say you learn something new every day and today i did.....take it easy Jack
regards David

Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
Divine New Guinea
After three years in a row of 100% failed crops I've...
Creek-side
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™