planting where a pine was

allstatsApril 20, 2014

I had a Frazier fur pine that had to cut down . Now I have a large place that needs something and I would like to plant a Hydrangea there ( I have bought a Blue ,Purple ,white ,and pink ) so I am not particular on which color . just the fact if it is a good or bad thing with the pine that use to grow there and also a Lilac is in the same area about 5 foot away .
I know that the pine hurt my Lilac and am just hoping it come out of the damage . Thanks for the help in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

I have hostas and an oakleaf hydrangea where a huge pine used to be until we had it cut down a few years ago. While we had the stump ground out the big roots are still there rotting away slowly so I have to dig around the roots unless I want to get the axe out and cut the massive obstructions out.

Here is H. 'Ellen Huff' which occupies some of the space of the old pine.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:43AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

"I know that the pine hurt my Lilac "

About all a Frazier Fir would do to a lilac would be to shade it and cut down on flowers. Perhaps a bit of root competition as well. Since the Fir is gone, there is nothing residual to harm the lilac or anything else.

Did you grind out the stump?

tj

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:43PM
allstats

Thank you and no the stump has not been removed as of yet but will be as much as possible . Do you have a suggestion for that also :) I plan on digging it out with the backhoe .

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:39PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Backhoe should do nicely. When stumps are ground it is tough to not end up with a lot of woodchips in the soil. Woodchips on top of the soil as mulch are great, mixed in the soil they can tie up nitrogen for a while and you may need to add more N for a while.

tj

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™