Frost Damage

gardenbug(8b)April 13, 2010

My hydrangea (about 5ft tall now) was loaded with buds. The other night it got so cold my hydrangea suffered severe frost bite. Many of the leaves and some of the buds have blackened. It was looking full and beautiful and now it's unsightly. What should I do? Should I remove the damaged leaves? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Just let it be for now. Severely damaged foliage will eventually drop off and be replaced and you can trim off any topgrowth later when you can confirm it is dead -- IF it is dead :-)

How cold did it get? Typically hydrangeas are unaffected by spring frosts - mine are exposed to them frequently without issue.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 10:48AM
gardenbug(8b)

Thank you gardengal. I'm not sure of the temperature but it got pretty cold and there was heavy frost and wind overnight.
I'll leave it be for now as you suggested.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 11:13AM
gabbygardner

I also had my 3rd year Endless Summer seem to bud all over then, spring frost killed all the little buds...nothing has happened since with it. Do you think it is a lost cause now?? It never had a chance to start new buds or needless to say any leaves at all. It's mid-April, nothing at all...

what do you think?

g

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 10:01PM
Gin33

I too lost all my buds and leaves late March and nothing new is happening. I'm really worried about it and don't know what to do. Could the whole plant be dead or will I eventually get new buds and/or leaves???

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:11PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

If the stems are green you just have to be patient. Shrubs like these are ones that I wouldn't worry about. You could cut it to stubs and it will grow.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 8:25PM
gamountains

Same problem here with three year endless summers. I've been giving thought of a major trimming as it wasn't shaping well anyway. I'm guessing it will fare well and take on a better shape. I've hear it could re-bloom, but it's not as important.

I pass by a huge hydrangea nearby that a local farmer cuts to stubs in March. By late summer it's flourishing and blooming like crazy, but it has to be 20 years old.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:17AM
Mari_88(7a)

Cadence,

I agree with gardengal...my ES got frost bit just the other night when temps dropped into the lower 30s and my mom told me to just leave the dead leaves and keep the soil moist. She said the leaves would grow back. Thank goodness ES reblooms so i may get to enjoy it at some point this season

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™