Filli Crapemyrtle

hortgirl2424January 21, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with the Filli Crapemyrtle in zone5/zone4. How does it smell? How well does it grow? Any info would be great

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawki(5a)

I've thought about ordering one of the "filli's" this year; they should survive, as they were bred in Nebraska by the same (late) brothers who hybridized all the hardy hibiscus. Years ago I kept one of the Hopi crapes going for a few years in Cedar Falls, but it would die back to the ground each year, so would be a foot tall each year. That's the deal with the filli's; they state that in colder zones they die back to the ground and resprout, and even in warmer zones only grow to 18 inches... so you're not going to have a crape myrtle tree, like in the south (they call these dwarfs myrtlettes). It would be worth trying if you're happy with a foot tall crape myrtle.
don

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 12:19PM
markluvskathy(4/5)

I ordered 10 from somewhere (new england maybe?) and only 1 survived (they were like twigs when I got them) The lone survivor last year was 4 foot tall by the end of the season. It does die back every year. Where did you find yours? I would love to have some more as long as they don't come as twigs!

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 11:05PM
hortgirl2424

I found my crapemyrtle at TimberPine Nursery (15 min west of Des Moines) They had two colors the red and the coral but limited numbers for right now. They were 5 and 7 gal containers and nice.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 5:12PM
krnwlcx_gmail_com

Lowes has a ton of them- reddish, bright pink, and purple $15

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
About Dipstick!
Hi All, Does anyone know if this comes with the watering...
IrrigationSystem00
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™