spots of flowers, too much sun?

cqphung(4)June 22, 2006

Why are my flowers looking like this? too much sun and not enough shade? Not all of them have spots. I have them on the side of the house that gets shade for most of the day but they get sun around 3-4PM. Is the sun too strong at that time for them? I would appreciate any advice on this. This is my first year planting impatians. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nberg7(z7NC)

I'm growing some impatiens in full sun without any spots, and our temps hit 90 degrees today, so I can't say if it's the direct sun in the late afternoon or not in your zone. However, the darker colors (both reds and burgundy) I have can sometimes get these water spots (as if they've been hit with bleach) if I water them while the sun is beating down on them. Has anything been applied near them lately- fertilizer/insecticide/fungicide/weed killer overspray?
-Nan

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 11:50PM
cqphung(4)

nope, no fertilizers or anything. it happens to the lighter colored flowers too. Not all the flowers are affected by this "bleaching" effect either.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 1:08AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

The damage looks to be water related this happens with me as well. I think once they grow up a bit they should do better.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™