Seeds starting to germinate

dazed77(6)June 16, 2005

Hi, I tried the kitchen towel method for germinating my impatiens peach fizz hybrid seeds...I placed them on a moistened kitchen towel on a saucer covered with a plastic lid and it was placed in a sunny window. Well its been about 2 weeks now and the seeds have started to show signs of germination. One has split and the rest are swollen. Wondering what to do with them now? How long should I wait before putting them into soil? Also what kind of soil, climate conditions and planting depth would be ideal for these newly germinating seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Dazed
You could use some regular potting mix and place them on top of the soil and lightly sprinkle some soil on the ones that have sprouted. Keep the humidity up with a plastic baggy.

Bookmark   June 23, 2005 at 11:20PM
dazed77(6)

Hi MrImpatiens, Thanks again :-) Actually 2 days ago, I placed the one seed that had sprouted in a small peat pot with regular potting soil and placed that peat pot in a small plastic cup filled shallowly with water (for bottom watering) I also expose it to atleast 4-5 hours of strong fluorescent light per day(provided by my study lamp) Would this do or should I go ahead and tranfer to a ziplock bag for humidity? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 10:36AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

If you see wilt then cover it with the baggy other wise it sounds good. Once you get them planted and growing you will never have to worry again.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Divine New Guinea
After three years in a row of 100% failed crops I've...
Creek-side
White spots on Impatiens Pedals
I'm new to gardening and a couple of days ago, I went...
Christal91
Insecticidal soap killed my impatiens
The subject of my post says it all: I sprayed an insecticidal...
rhaine86
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
Sponsored Products
Feiss Market Square Outdoor Wall Lantern - 14H in. Oil Rubbed Bronze - OL2600ORB
$145.00 | Hayneedle
15-Light Chandelier Weathered Iron
PLFixtures
Newton Outdoor Wall Sconce No. 9007-9009 by Troy Lighting
$288.00 | Lumens
Nimbus Collection 18" Wide Clear Seeded Glass Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Lanterns. 150 Degree Laurelstone Motion Sensing Decorative Lantern - Rus
$58.56 | Home Depot
Robert Abbey | Rico Espinet Buster Globe Pendant
$229.90 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™