How early is too early to start seeds?

gardennewbieiaFebruary 20, 2007

I live in cedar rapids and am wondering how early i can start my vegitable seeds. I would like to stat them as soon as possible indoors but not to early to cause poor production or weak plants. It is now late Feb. I am going to grow peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, squash, broccoli raab, cucumbers, mellons, and zuchini. If anyone could offer any help it would be a great help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annemarie_2007

Hi!
I live in Ankeny, IA. I started sowing my pepper seeds and some perennial flowers today. Will be sowing the tomato seeds early March. Last year, I started doing this mid March, and the plants were quite small when I transplanted them in the garden, but they had a very long, productive life (I had tomatoes in late October!). So I guess it's not too early to start now, especially with the peppers.

Good luck!

Annemarie

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 10:01PM
jspece(Josh - z4 IA)

I'd follow the recommendation on the seed package. For tomatoes I'd go 6-8 weeks from mid May (last frost date). That puts it at mid-late March. You're better off putting smaller plants out than big lanky ones.

We'll be starting the first of our veggies in another week or two, but they'll be in the greenhouse.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 1:32PM
tannabanana

Hey, I'm in Cedar Rapids too! I would suggest direct sowing your squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. I transplanted some last year that I started and really, the direct sowed ones caught up with the transplants in no time - not worth the trouble of starting them indoors. I've no experience with melons so I can't help you there.

Tomatos - I'd say mid-late March and you'll be okay - lanky plants really don't do that well. Broccoli can go out a bit earlier, I believe, so you could probably start that right now but I'm no expert as I've never grown it from seed. When in doubt, follow the directions on the seed packet! This my second year gardening here in IA and I can't wait! Good thing I'm having my third baby late-March/early April - gives me time to get into a routine before the gardening season really is in earnest!

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
Creek clean up
Getting ready to write editor at Cedar rapids Gazette...
koszta_kid
Need Ideas - Plantings around tree trunk
I have an area in my back yard that is a pain to mow...
rickalo
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
larryiniowa
Sponsored Products
Locking Hex Rug 5'3" x 7'7" - RED
$179.00 | Horchow
41" Siglo Round Japanese Soaking Tub
Signature Hardware
Mies van der Rohe: Barcelona Loveseat
Modern Classics Furniture
Crystorama 1525-MC Galaxy Chandelier - 16W in. - Midnight Chrome - 1525-MC
$598.00 | Hayneedle
Collapsible Chimney Grill Starter
$24.95 | FRONTGATE