I'd appreciate the help :)

lottiemayJuly 15, 2004

Hello everyone~~

I am new to this forum and to gardening in general and I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who can help me. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

I bought some "circus mix f6" impatiens seeds and planted them in May into containers on our deck. They sprouted great but have now turned into a "little shop of horrors" looking plant, (nothing at all like the photo on the seed pack).

The plants are about 14 inches high, very uneven, (leggy, I believe the term is), and they've sprouted these teeny tiny flowers, (2mm flower size) that are in large clusters at the top of the leggy arms of the plant. These cluster of tiny flowers continue to grow upward, dividing the flowers into smaller, leggier looking arms.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me if the plants are going to seed, or if that is as large as the flowers are going to get?

If I re-plant them into the ground instead of containers, would they do better and flower properly?

My husband is threatening to get rid of these plants that I've nurtured for two months now because he says "they look like weeds".

Any advice with this type of impatiens would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

F6? Typo? Did you mean F1? Circus Mix should be F1 seed.

It sounds like you may have got the wrong seed. Impatiens don't get teeny tiny flowers in large clusters, they have large flat flowers in groups of around three, but generally you just see a nearly solid covering of flowers over the whole plant.

There are lots of pictures of bedding Impatiens flowers on the web. Here is a picture of Impatiens leaves on fairly small plants (this is a different variety to yours, but the leaves should be similar).

Bookmark   July 15, 2004 at 8:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunflower_ia(z5 IA)

It sounds like verbena instead of impatients. Your best bet is to get an annual gardening book so you'll know what you are buying and planting. You might try cutting these plants back and fertilizing them if they are getting too leggy. This will make them bushier. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 20, 2004 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
Wimpy New Guinea Impatiens :(
I bought this particular NGI (the orange one on the...
christy51274
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Sponsored Products
Juliette Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy and Vanilla Glossy Glass
$355.50 | Bellacor
Armen Living Patrick 30 in. Swivel Bar Stool - Espresso - LCMBS404BAES30
$215.82 | Hayneedle
Liberty Furniture Laurelwood Media Chest in Chestnut Finish
Beyond Stores
Tribeca Outdoor Lounge Chair Cushions, Patio Furniture
$573.00 | FRONTGATE
Hand-tufted Sasha Grey Wool Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
Signature Lily Pendant Small - Peony Glass with White Hardware
$441.00 | Bellacor
Gold Chalice Bronze Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
48.5'' Oxford Backless Bench
$299.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™