dwarf that can take more sun?

eblin(7a)May 30, 2011

Last summer, I planted 4 pink elfs in a row in a strip bed alongside the sidewalk leading to our front steps. Three survived and seem to be doing great, as they are lightly shaded by a japanese maple. The fourth, which received more afternoon sun, died a sad death from too much sunlight, I think.

I'm looking for a dwarf hydrangea that can take more sun, as it looks silly with something else in that spot. (There is an acuba next to the steps.) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Have you researched Oakleafs Sikes Dwarf and Pee Wee? While taller than Pink Elf, oakleafs can take slightly more sunlight. But these are still hydrangeas so make sure the amount of afternoon sun in the middle of summer will not be an issue.

Sorry that the fourth one did not make it. If it got too much sun, the leaves in direct contact with the sun would have turned completely yellow or white-ish, including the leaf veins.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eblin(7a)

Yellow and white? It turned brown, despite daily waterings to ensure that the soil stayed moist. Maybe I should try again, though I'm hesitant to throw another $30 down the drain...perhaps a the varieties you suggested.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™