Outdoor Lettuce

hind_sightFebruary 13, 2008

I'm going to attempt growing lettuce outdoors this year using a floating raft setup. I will use oasis cubes for propogation. The nutrient solution will be 7" to 12" deep and will be aerated via large airpump and air stones. I have a few indoor grows under my belt using deep water culture, both culinary herbs and salad greens.

Here in Georgia, it gets up to 100 degrees with high humidity. Because of this, I understand that I won't be able to grow through the heat of the summer, but what I'm curious to find out is what kind of temps do you find to be about the top for lettuce growing? I do plan on providing a 50% shade screen. I thought about adding a chiller for the nutrient solution but then read in the Growing Edge that plants don't like it when the nutrient solution is more than 5 degrees lower than the ambient air temps. Do any of you have experience to counter that claim? Perhaps you had 95 degree heat and chilled your nutrients down to 80 degrees or so with good success?

The greens I would like to grow are things like romaine, green leaf, spinach etc.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mudcat65

Here's a link that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: resh's site

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hind_sight

Thanks for the reply. LOTS of good info on that page!

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™