New Guineas - sun or shade?

hoolJuly 5, 2006

I recently got some New Guinea Impatiens hanging baskets - I have heard differing things about how much sun the New Guineas need. I thought Impatiens in general did better in the shade but heard from a "plant expert" over the weekend that they actually need a lot of sun.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Hool
Most NG Impatiens want shade and will burn in too much sun. Some morning sun is fine as long as it is cool. If you live by the coast then more sun is ok as well.
Now there is a new NG hybrid out call SunPatiens sold by Home Depot this year. These will take full sun all day from what they say as well as heat. I have three I am testing and so far I would give them an 8 out of 10. The flowers seem to bleach out when they get older which is a minus to me. But I am in a very hot climate days are dry and can reach into the 100s, right now we are have a cool period low 90s or slightly higher. For you they should do better. Your humidity is higher and not as hot as me.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fizgig777(7)

Depends where you live, really. They can take full sun, but not in very hot climates. They simply dehydrate way too quickly to handle a full day in the sun.

I have a NG hybrid that is supposed to do well in the sun. Doesn't even come close to what it's supposed to do in the sun. Here in NYC, the summer sun is simply too much for Impatiens-type plants to do well in the sun a whole day.

My Impatiens get about 7hrs. of direct sunlight -- eastern exposure, sunrise to about one -- during the summer months. That's about at the upper limit of tolerance for it. I have two in a 10" pot. They require about a gallon of water a day to deal with the amount of sun they get -- even though they are mulched to 2" deep.

Hope that helps.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
Insecticidal soap killed my impatiens
The subject of my post says it all: I sprayed an insecticidal...
rhaine86
Sponsored Products
Lights Up | CanCan 2 Adjustable Floor Lamp
$376.00 | YLighting
Tiffany Style Table Lamp with Leaves & Jewelry Decors
ParrotUncle
Justice Design Group CNDL-8923 - Modular 3 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Dream Two-Light Polished Chrome Sconce
$168.00 | Bellacor
Set of 6 Brown Kraft Square Lamp Shade 5x5x5 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
Hampton Bay 4-Light Brushed Steel Wave Bar Track Lighting Fixture with Cylinder
$49.97 | Home Depot
Live, Love, Laugh Grecian Bronze Four-Light Chandelier with Burlap Hardback Fabr
$161.50 | Bellacor
Area Rug: John Beige 6' x 9'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™