Cutting back impatiens

Bloominfun(7)July 5, 2004

My impatiens are getting leggy and I know they need to be cut back. I've never done this before, so I'm a little nervous. One article I read said to cut them back 1/3, another said to cut them back 1/2. Which is better? I would really appreciate some detailed instructions so that I don't destroy my beautiful plants! Also, what do I do for my heart failure when I cut off all my wonderful blooms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littleonefb(zone 5, MA)

First of all, no heart failure. You can do either or both of the following with all of the cuttings. Stick them in water and put them in a window that gets light and watch all the roots grow, them pot them up in some miracle grow potting soil. Or you can put the end of each cutting in some rooting powder and pot them in some miracle grow. Voila, plenty of new plants to have or give to friends. As for cutting back, I just cut mine back as much as I need to or looks good to my eye. Last year my daughter hacked one back to, what looked like almost nothing and in a matter of 3 weeks it was full, bushy and enormous all over again. She wanted to do it again but said no dice kid, once is more that enough. Just prune to look good to your eye, you will be fine.

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 12:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lws3_mac_com

I agree they are almost indestructible and still look good when very tall, but if I cut them back now, they are going to look pretty terrible for a while. Also something has begun to eat the buds: any ideas?? I will cut them back when I take them inside. Can I grow them outside until then They did great indoors last year.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
New Guinea Impatiens
I have new guinea impatiens i planted sometimes last...
turaloora
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Impatiens pallida
I once saw this at one creek many years ago, and have...
dbarron
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Geneva 10-light Royal Cut Crystal and Chrome Flush Mount
Overstock.com
Light Blue Vase
$29.99 | zulily
Sebastian Indoor Rug - 4' x 6'
Grandin Road
Hamilton Black Chandelier by Schonbek Lighting
$4,125.00 | Lumens
Maria Theresa Gold One-Light 8-Inch Wall Sconce with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smoky
$148.00 | Bellacor
CS107 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Bedside Lamp: 17.25 in. Petunia Lily Antique Verde Table Lamp TA10812
$59.99 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Summer Pop Ivory/Red 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™