What the heck is it? Pics

tom8olvr(Z5 MA)August 18, 2008

Went to Northern Maine over the weekend... Found these... they were about 6-8 feet tall and were just beautiful... I'm assuming their an impatien - Aren't they a love?? Does anyone (Mr. Impatien) know what they are?? I'm going to ask my mother to save seed on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandmachris

I had a case of deja vu. We saw impatiens very near to these in appearance in the Soviet Union in late Sept. 1988
just before frost. They were growing wild where they were
not wanted and a "volunteer" crew of military folks were busy scything them down. I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Chris

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 3:59PM
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

They're really pretty - very tall... and handsome - they
were wild - or appeared to be...

The 'jewel weed' we have around this area - MA is an orangy-
red - the flower shape was similar - but these were larger.

I'm interested to see what the heck they are!

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 8:40AM
kenandbea(Zone 8 or 9)

They are very pretty Impatiens glandulifera. Your photos are just lovely.
They reseed themselves very readily. I have them return every year in abundance. Each spring I transplant them to where I want them to grow if they are not in the right place. There are always more than are needed to fill that bed so I also pull some out to thin them a bit.
I really like them too.

Bea

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 5:23AM
ashley_minnig

I don't know if I am wrong , Wrong wrong. But it looks to me that they could be lady's slipper! Hummingbirds Love them!!! I hear they can be very difficult to sow but grow naturally near woods and moist places! This is an old post but I thuoght I would give a guess!

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 10:19PM
stellar.bpo

I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Lisa11

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:36AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Bea is right they are Impatiens glandulifera and have volunteered them selves in many other countries ie Russia, Canada, Europe and, the US. They are very easy to germinate if you just throw them on the ground and let nature take its course. You can also buy plants from Annie's Annuals.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 7:08PM
extragalactic(6b)

If it is Impatiens glandulifera, then beware. It is classified as a noxious weed in Washington State, and cannot be sold in CT, OR, or WA. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens glandulifera: Washington State Class B Noxious Weed

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 2:14PM
voodoobrew

OK, I've got one for you guys... I just posted a pic on the "what's this?" gallery. I checked Mr. Impatiens' website, and didn't see it. I found it today in Point Reyes, CA. Yes, I took some cuttings and got some seed. The seed pods "exploded", and then curled up. I've never tried to germinate impatiens, help! Here is a pic; I've got more, if needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery flower

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 1:22AM
jennywren343

extragalactic..ur right...the seed needs to be planted...(just strewn) fall before. guess it needs a chilling or freezing feature to germinate

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 8:30AM
mlb86

Voodoobrew your mystery flower looks like a pale form of Impatiens textori to me. Did you have any luck with the seeds?

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
impatiens leaf rolling down lengthways
http://imgur.com/6saiWNb I live in singapore which...
cameocamel
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™