A fungus among us?

oops_ikilleditAugust 16, 2007

I am really, really new to gardening so forgive me if this is a duh kind of question.

My poor impatiens, which were doing soooo well when I planted them in the spring now look terrible! The leaves are all in the process of turning yellow, or if they are green they are getting really ugly spots of impending death. They are barely flowering any more. Is this a fungus? It seems to be happening to my well-established ivy along the side of the house as well.

Where do I go from here? If I pull-out the plants and declare them a loss will the same thing happen to the pansies that will go in their placein the fall?

Thanks for help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurabs(7b)

Are they planted in the shade? Are they getting all the water they need?

I ask because lack of these 2 elements (oh, plus overactive squirrels) are the only things I've seen mess up impatiens so far here in NC. Not that I'm one of the experts.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cburkott

I had a fungus in my impatien bed....under a tree. I knew it was getting plenty of water, there were mushrooms. I'd only water in the morning, so I'm not sure what happened, but I declared them a total loss and pulled them. I didn't pull from the root, I was being lazy, and I see some of them growing back. Hee hee!

I'm new to all this gardening too. I'm having better luck with my impatiens that I started from seed in another area. They are glorious and beautiful!

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
Impatiens...do they really do well in full sun?
I'm not sure if it was the variety of impatiens I purchased...
gwendolyn718
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™