uncovering plants

ottumwaMarch 25, 2004

what do you guys and gals think about uncovering plants this early. i'm just dying to get out there and blow the ugly old leaves and get rid of the dead plants that i left for spring so i don't forget where they're at. you think they still need the protection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iowagal(z4 IA)

I always clean off my garden by now if it's not too soggy. Waiting with the veg areas until ready for planting keeps weeds down, though. If you have any plants that aren't quite hardy here, though, I'd keep them protected awhile yet.

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 8:12PM
Maude_IA(z5-SE Iowa)

We cleaned up some of the garden last weekend (the crocus were hidden under the leaves!) and things are doing fine so far. I'd say go ahead if plants are emerging, but leave it in place if you don't see any action yet. Some plants are hardier than others, and they know who they are. They'll let you know when they're ready.

Bookmark   March 26, 2004 at 12:08PM
Emandden(z5 IL)

I do my spring clean up in mid-March, weather permitting. After removing the dead plant growth, I use fresh mulch to blanket up to the crowns of the plants. I think this helps keep the plants root zone protected from the heaving of freezing and thawing I usually leave the fall protection (compost mixed with leaves) around my roses until the weather is more stable.

Em

We've had some early spring rains and the garden has really awoken. Can't decide whether to work out there this morning or go to the QCCA Lawn & Garden Show!

Bookmark   March 27, 2004 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Knockout Roses
How do I know if this winter froze my knockout bushes?...
bluey48
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
Groundcover for north slope
I'm looking for groundcover options for a north slope....
uicricket
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™