Should I give it up?

shequitSeptember 1, 2009

I planted lots of impatiens in pots this Spring. They were very healthy plants. We are over-run with deer so in my elder years, I am doing only pots on decks cause the deer eat all else - even come to the decks at times!

However, the plants have not produced very many blooms and I am fed up. I have lots of shade, I have planted this latest batch in MiracloGro with fertilizer - lots of work to dump out all of the old many pots (my aching back) and $$ to replace the dirt. No yellow leaves, just not a lot of blooms. I am so frustrated.

Can it be the lack of sun?

Begonis, coleus, hostas, coral bells, packy's do well. Planted some lily turf next to my pond and they continue to bloom. But, the impatiens....

Thank you for letting me vent but as much as I love impatiens, I am about to give up with them.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

From what I understand you will get lots of leaves and not many flowers if the soil is too fertile. Once they have sucked up the fertilizers they should start blooming better.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 10:33PM
vegeplanter(9)

yes, do not fertilize impatiens. have been growing them in 8 window boxes for 5 years. the only thing they need is sunlight to grow. best of luck....jamie

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 11:26AM
Pat

jamie, when you say sunlight, do you mean the New Guinea impatients specifically?

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Divine New Guinea
After three years in a row of 100% failed crops I've...
Creek-side
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Impatiens
I plant my impatiens among my hostas in partial shade....
Glen4sure
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™