help, bluebird is in trouble

novice_2009(zone 6b)May 15, 2009

My recently planted bluebird is not doing well, and I have no idea what it is. This is my first hydrangea. The leaves have some reddish brown spots on them, one or two look like they've been nibbled on, and the blossom buds have a rust color also. I'm not concerned about the nibbled leaves(very minor), but the discoloration. It should have blue flowers, but it is normal for the buds to be reddish brown? My guess is no. Please, if you know, tell me what this is. I'm gardening organically, but i just need to know what it is! Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladywindsurfer(Z7 SE)

If your BB receives several hours of sunlight each day, it is normal for H. serratas to develop burgundy/rusty colored foliage. The flower color will be influenced by the pH of the soil, a pH of about 6.5 or less will cause production of blue flowers, above that and you likely will have pink ones. I have tried only one BB, that was planted in very acidic red clay soil and after one year of blue flowers, it began to produce pink ones, a color I did not want in it's location and the only one in the garden with pink flowers, so I dug it up and gave it to a friend. It was replaced with a Blue Billow, which has remained true blue!

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 9:38AM
stan1164

A little off topic but I have both blue billows and bluebird and both are pink. I overwintered them in my garage and have just planted them, so first year in the ground but right now both are pink. East Tennessee is supposed to have acid soils? I'll see what happens in later years.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 6:38AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Well, this is in a raised bed right at the foundation of the house. I tested pH before planting, it was so alkaline it was off the charts! So I added Epsoma sulfur. So the rust colored spots on leaves aren't a dx? What a relief!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
What am I doing wrong???
Each summer I have several "Endless Summer"...
tracey3345
Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?
I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was...
love_the_yard
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Sponsored Products
Kiowa Runner 2'6" x 8' - BEIGE
$299.00 | Horchow
Draping Leaf Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Honey Can Do Closet Combo Vacuum Packs - Set of 5 - VAC-01378
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Gigatent Pirate Sleeping Bag - KSB 01 B
$27.85 | Hayneedle
Julien Leather Bar Stool
Grandin Road