do you cut back impatiens in the winter?

stb95123(CA-Z9)September 21, 2004

Hi all,

This isn't my usual forum but I did search and didn't quite find an answer. The house we just moved into has a big bed of impatiens that have been giving beautiful color for the past 4-5 months. But now that fall is approaching, I'm not sure what to do. Do I just let them run their course? Do I cut them back at sometime? Should I expect them to come up next year (I think I've read from some of you that many do come back) or should I plan on replanting?

I'm not sure what kind they are, but they seem like the standard sorts I see at Home Depot and all that.

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

I would say let them run their course. They may survive if you dont cut them back I believe. Its iffy in your zone it depends on the winter. I have even heard NGIs surviving sometimes.

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 8:42PM
Braveland4H

I take cuttings in fall, so I can enjoy them as houseplants. Then I can replant in spring. Impatiens root very easily in water. I sometimes put a two inch piece of willow branch in the water to help rooting, but it's not neccessary.

One year my impatiens actually got too cold in the house, when we had a sudden cold spell, but you won't have that issue in CA, Z9.

Not my usual forum either, but I may just hang out here too! I love impatiens!! (double pink is my all-time favorite.)

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 8:38AM
bella_CA(Z9CA)

I have cut them back to stubs when they get leggy and always come back beautiful year after year.

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
New Guinea Impatiens
I have new guinea impatiens i planted sometimes last...
turaloora
Impatiens pallida
I once saw this at one creek many years ago, and have...
dbarron
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
winter storage of I.flaniganae tuber?
Should tubers of this species be stored cool and dry...
rredbbeard
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™