Overwintering

LeighAnn(Zone 5 - PA)September 26, 2004

We have several impatiens plants that came up this summer from seeds that fell from our windowboxes during summer '03. Is it possible to dig up some of the larger plants and bring inside for winter? I have seen other posts about taking cuttings, but I wanted to know about actually digging up the entire plant. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

If they are perennial Impatiens I see no reason why you should not carry them over winter indoors. Crock the pots well for good drainage, pot them up with as much root on as possible using the soil they are growing in and keep in a cool, light and frost-free place. Give little water after the initial watering in after potting up.

Here is a link that might be useful: my website

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 5:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

I have been selecting bi-colored impatiens seedlings for several years and bringing them inside. If your soil is clay or otherwise does not drain well, you may want to use a commercial potting soil. If they are in a low light location, minimal water and a cool (not cold) environment is best. If the colors are really special, I would also root some cuttings to increase the odds of some surviving.

Bookmark   September 28, 2004 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Impatiens...do they really do well in full sun?
I'm not sure if it was the variety of impatiens I purchased...
gwendolyn718
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Wimpy New Guinea Impatiens :(
I bought this particular NGI (the orange one on the...
christy51274
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™