arguta

trailer_gal(z4 ND)September 23, 2009

Does anyone know if the arguta is a late summer/fall blooming impatiens. It is nearly time for me to start thinking of bringing my impatiens in for the winter. The arguta are so sprawling that I wouldn't have room for them without trimming them back. The upright ones seem to be sprawling, too. There are 18 plants. The longest is 24 inches. As I was cutting them back, I noticed most of them had buds. I hated to cut them back but I had to. I hardly got any blooms this summer, but if I had left all these branches on I would have had a lot of blooms this fall. Now I am really in trouble because I saved all those cuttings in water.

Thanks for any information about bloom time and also any advice for the future about how to keep these plants more neat and not so sprawling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Impatiens arguta blooms all the time for me in cooler weather. Most Impatiens species will stop when it gets hot. Brighter light should help keep the upright ones standing but the sprawling one just does that. Since you will have so many cuttings started you could experiment and try them in the ground during the winter. I would be really curious to see if they would survive for you. But wait till next year.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 10:39PM
vickivaughan

I am looking for arguta- have lots of parrot impatients to trade

Here is a link that might be useful: vicki@flatrockkoi.com

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 12:15PM
steve_nj(7-a)

I. arguta is in it's second or third winter in the ground, with only nominal mulch. It's in a rich, composty soil. However, the ground doesn't freeze deeply here, especially with mulch. These pics were taken before the late summer proliferation and flowering.

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 2:13PM
vickivaughan

Steve
Your plants look great. Any possibility of you seling me some? I also hav lots ofparrot impatiens or japnese maples to trade if you are interested
vicki
vicki@flatrockoi.com

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 12:10PM
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

Vicki
My Arguta's don't look as good as Steve's, but they are surviving down in the cellar. I checked on them today. When weather warms up a bit I could send you a few.
Probably too cold here right now to mail them out.
What are the temperature ranges where you live?

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 5:36PM
vickivaughan

Thank you for your kind offer- I live in Ga and it is too cold to ship right now. I have parrot impatient if you like. Bonsai is another hobby of mine and I have lots of starter plants if you are interested esp japanese maples

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 9:17AM
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

Vicki, did you ever get any I. arguta? I noticed today that my arguta are putting on new growth. I have them in a large pot that I am getting ready to divide, so I could send you several pieces in exchange for some Parrot Impatiens. How far south of Athens are you? We travel through Commerce on the way to Chattanooga to visit our grandkids.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 11:00PM
lophoboy

Interested in tuberous Impatiens (arguta(?)etc.), Have various cuttings of cacti available to trade...(lot's of Schick hybrids), also Agave pups etc...dunno if this is the "correct" area to post request like this
Thanks

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
impatiens leaf rolling down lengthways
http://imgur.com/6saiWNb I live in singapore which...
cameocamel
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
winter storage of I.flaniganae tuber?
Should tubers of this species be stored cool and dry...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™