Do rose plants live through winter?

newgardengrowerApril 14, 2010

I want to grow some rose plants. Should I keep them in a container so that I can move them indoors in winter? or can they live through the winter if kept outside?

Can anyone suggest specific type of rose plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowajojo

When I first moved to Iowa in 2001...I was wondering the same thing. My old neighbors from So. Calif. sent me 3 rose bushes and I didn't think they would survive winter. I think after 2 years of bringing them in and out in big pots was enough for me, so I put them in the ground and they come back every year. I have had mixed results with roses...just go for the cold hardy ones and you should be fine. Miniature roses do well here also, as they grow from their own roots.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 4:47PM
newgardengrower

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I bought 2 rose plants with bright red colour roses!! I am so eager to see them grow...

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 8:35AM
tannabanana

iowajo - funny - I moved here from So. Cal. in 2005 :) I have not been brave enough to chance putting in any of the beautiful tea hybrid roses I had when I was there.

I can personally recommend Knock Out roses and carpet roses. They are going gang busters right now with all the warm weather we've been having. Hoping for no major frosts because of all the tender new foliage!

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:51AM
sfallen2002(z5 IA)

Ours are 40 yrs old - no idea what variety. They get leaves in fall and snow piled on in winter, every year they come back.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 6:02PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

different varieties of roses live through the Iowa winters....others do not...if you plan on growing roses in Iowa, plant shrub roses or plan on replacing about 1/3 of them every year.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 3:40PM
rosekrazy(7B)

I just moved to Iowa last winter, but I can tell you that some of the very best and easiest roses to grow were developed at the University of Iowa. They are called Buck Roses after the professor that developed them. Because of a low budget, he couldn't afford lots of chemicals and such to baby the roses he developed. As a result his roses are hardy for Iowa winters and summers and very resistant to diseases that plague other types of roses. So far I've gardened in NH and Texas and very successfully grew Buck roses in both places. Check out the link below for more information on these beauties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Rose Website

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Needing Plant Recommendations
I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn....
rosekrazy
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
LarryInIowa
Groundcover for north slope
I'm looking for groundcover options for a north slope....
uicricket
Looking 4 Dutch White Clover Seed
I'm planning to add some clover back into the sunny...
iowa50126
Spiraea prunifolia 'Plena'
I had ordered two of these from Lazy S Farms but I...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™