water usage - aeroponics

wordwizFebruary 8, 2011

I have 12 tomato plants, fairly good size, growing in Sterilite containers. Using a sorta aeroponic system, one where I drilled very small holes in pvc piping through which the nuit solution sprays.

The system has, maybe, a couple of very small leaks but if so, very small. The containers sit on 5-gallon buckets on a wood floor and the floor shows no sign of moisture. But I am going through about three gallons of water a day.

The plants are under a 600-watt HID light, average room temps are the mid 70s. Is this normal?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ethnobotany

Mike -

I would have to say that the HID light in itself will be creating enough heat for your plants to use that much water. On average, I am sure that the 12 tomato plants use far more water than we would like to think. How strong are your nutrients by the way? The weaker your nutrients, the more water your plants will be consuming.

Also, what does fairly good size mean? Depending on the developmental stage of the plant, there will be large differences in the quantity of water the plants consume. For instance, if your plants are now fruiting then you can assume water will be taken up at a drastic rate to keep those 'maters growing plump and juicy.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 1:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

They are fruiting and have roots that are longer than 15". My ppm is about 2200.

Mike

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Nutrient Selection
I want to know people's experiences with different...
meenwiz
managing large amounts of water
I am new to hydroponics but have done a 300 gallon...
Jon5
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™