New Guinea Impatiens Indoors in winter?

leviu(z7 MD)October 28, 2005

Hello all,

I am a newbie when it comes to impatiens. I bought a lovely salmon colored plant in middle summer. It did well for a short time where my other conventional shade loving impatiens were, but then quit flowering. I moved it to a partial southern exposure, and it had lots of green but no flowers. I made sure it was getting a bloom booster fertilzer, no luck. I quit messing with it and almost forgot about it until I was bringing plants in before the first frost here a few days ago.. It hardly has any leaves (a few) and the stems are yellowish but turgid, with tiny leaves beginning to push out the joints. Some of the stems have broken off and the joints there are dried flat and clean and are brownish. Can I overwinter it? What kind of light does it need? Moisture? Is it worth trying? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Leviu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marguerite_gw

I think it's definitely worth bringing in and nurturing. I have three, they were rescues - two are still in bloom in the kitchen - one was in the bathroom where it's darker and stopped flowering; it seems when they stop it takes a while to get them off again, but now, in the east window of the sitting-room, I see tiny buds. This plant is a brown-leaved one with orange flowers; perhaps orange/salmon-flowered ones are a bit more pernickety? The other two are a pinky-white and a rose pink. But I think it's probably a light thing - they definitely like good light, and it takes a while for them to start flowering once they stop, that seems to be the answer. Good luck with yours!

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 9:11AM
leviu(z7 MD)

Thank you Marguerite, I am going to to give it a go!

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 6:25PM
larry_c(z6 Stl. Mo.)

I have been digging mine for 3 years now. I cut them back hard and put them into the small plastic holders that they came in. The results are great. They live under shop lights all winter and will go back next spring. I can divide them each year. They are blooming right now. > reminds himself to cut them back soon.

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 6:49PM
leviu(z7 MD)

Thanks! I have them in the south window and they are coming back nicely - When should I feed - in the late spring?...when should they begin to bloom? Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
New Guinea Impatiens flowers fading fast
Hi all, I planted my NGI in a bed back in May. It took...
valeriej1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™