Hydroponic seedlings

amgseffiFebruary 15, 2012

starting some seeds in rockwool and they are about 5 days old and were doing great and then today all of a sudden they are droopy, and the stems seem like they are flat. They are in a contained area so nothing bumped into them.. the leaves also are curled up a little. The rockwool is not too dry and not too wet so I don't know what the issue is.

They are cucumber seeds and are under a 120v cfl and a 60w homedepot grow light.

Please help!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: here a some photos of whats going on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homehydro

What is the temperature?
What is the humidity level?

Assuming there isn't any disease, and your sure the seedlings aren't over watered suffocating the roots (quite common problem with rockwool). My first thought is that 60 watt cfl grow light is insufficient. Causing the seedlings to stretch up towards the light, then the small thin underdeveloped stems just can't support the weight. Low humidity will even add to that problem, as well as could be just as bad by itself depending on how low the humidity is.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 11:21PM
RoboGeek

check your water - if its tap water, that could be doing it. Do you have access to pH and EC meters? If so, test your water. I would use distilled or ionized water only

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 6:11PM
homehydro

RoboGeek
Why would suspect the water supply? Unless you were suspecting pathogens, but that's why mentioned "assuming there isn't any disease." pH has never been a problem with my seedlings. Given I use RO water, but still the pH fluctuate anyway. Also what good would an EC meter do? It wont be able to detect pathogens, or tell if there's an excess of any particular mineral in the water supply. I have never used anything other than RO/tap water to sprout seeds, and with the exception of spinach, I get a very high success rate.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 5:42AM
georgeiii

The problem is you didn't wash out the rock wool in one and the other is using the wrong medium. The hydoron or what ever their call isn't meant to use that way. That growing system is for soil or close compact medium. If you use Perlite inbetween those clay balls things will improve. They're lacking air. Just remember what system uses what material.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
resident Teal 4s For Sale of Illinois
Quentin Townsend is a resident Teal 4s For Sale of...
daserigunimi
Using Gravel as a growing media
This thread is created, and only for people who have...
homehydro
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™