A small step to less hatred......

momj47(7A)February 7, 2013

At least for two young people.

One of the most prominent members of the Westboro Baptist church has left it after spending her life as part of the fervently anti-gay movement.

Megan Phelps-Roper, who looked after social media for the church best known for its slogan "God hates fags", announced her departure in a post on the blogging platform Medium in which she also revealed her younger sister Grace, 19, was also leaving.

This will be hard for them. Sadly, they'll be attacked from all sides for a while, I hope they find good support and help in these early days.

Undoing years of indoctrination will be painful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westboro defections

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

Undoing years of indoctrination will be painful.

They will need counseling and encouragement, but since they are strong enough to denounce the hatred, I'm hopeful they will make a full recovery.

This post was edited by brushworks on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 8:08

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:07AM
labrea_gw

2 Down how many thousands to go!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:31AM
jodik_gw

It's a very small start...

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:39AM
momj47(7A)

Thousands - no.

Billions and billions

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:10AM
labrea_gw

"They think that they are the only ones who are going to heaven and if you don't go to that church you're going to hell," This is from another daughter Libby who left.
really not very different from so may other sects just the others don't bother to make themselves a target by preaching this so loudly! Or at least at soldiers funerals (I still remember that outcry was not so loud or at all before they picketed soldiers funerals.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:19AM
labrea_gw

Gee I thought this would have been great news to the CONSERVATIVES guess not. So dissapointed in you guys...again!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:56PM
youngquinn_gw

I have watched the documentary by Louis Theroux, a couple of times and while it left me only feeling disgust for the teachings of this "church" I actually felt a bit of something akin to compassion for these young women...they have very obviously been brainwashed by the significant family in their lives...all their lives.

I am glad they are finally realising that they can think for themselves.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:47AM
jodik_gw

To some extent, this is the modus operandi of all religions, though... from the moment of baptism as an infant unable to choose for oneself... some religions go a lot farther than others, would be the difference.

But I do think that the original message has been greatly twisted over time... as evidenced by the hate and division taught as part of the whole experience.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:16AM
mrskjun(9)

labrea, I don't see how anyone can call Westboro a church. It's a cult full of hatred. Hopefully these girls will be the beginning of a flood of people who turn their backs and flee.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:11AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Fred Phelps/Westboro Church originated here in Kansas and was appalling us long before they gained a national reputation through their God Hates . . . campaigns at funerals. As I understand it, this so-called church has never consisted of more than a large immediate family and their spouses and in-law families. In other words, everyone in the group is related by blood or marriage. There are no others who make up the "congregation." That is what has always been so weird about them--that one "extended family" (literally) could have such an impact on the nation's consciousness.

In some ways, in the old days (the first time I encountered them was in the late 1980s at an abortion rights conference here is Kansas that the Phelp's group was protesting against), they had large hand-painted signs that included the "God Hates . . ." motto even then. (They concluded that abortion rights women were all lesbians!) They had a way of painting those signs that made it look like venom dripping down from each word. It was truly ugly--and actually frightened me the first time I saw them lined up in a row across the street silently holding the venom-dripping signs. Maybe I'm just used to them now, but the nicely printed signs (with the same logo) that they have now are not half as horrifying as the old hand-painted ones.

I hope the young women have linked up with positive, supportive communities outside the "family" religious group.

Kate

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:12AM
youngquinn_gw

Kate I have seen the Theroux documentary and he interviewed some members of this "group" who were urelated to Phelps. Apparently some journalists had come to interview Phelps and decided to stay and join the group !!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 4:58PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

OK if you say so, yq--but I'd be surprised if his group has ever had more than a handful of "outsiders" --at most-- join the group. But maybe they have expanded their appeal in the last couple years as they gained more national attention. A most unfortunate thought, isn't it!

Kate

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:48PM
youngquinn_gw

yes, if "that lot" are going to populate "heaven" then I am glad I am an athiest!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:33PM
youngquinn_gw

I cannot recommend Louis Theroux too highly.
Most , if not all of his documentaries are worth watching

Here is a link that might be useful: Westboro in crisis

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:40PM
youngquinn_gw

"everytime a woman dies of breast cancer...they call that a God smack" " Disease is a judgment from God"

I have previously missed these gems from these hate filled creatures.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:52PM
labrea_gw

yes I can't see how anyone would call on a lot of things churches but they do. He went to Bob Jones University he worked with Billy Graham whom he now regards as a traitor.
I've always thought he was a crack pot but I was posting about him here before he started picketing Soldiers Funerals.
I consider Bryan Fisher the same kind of Crackpot anda all the hyper Calvinists or followers of Rousas John Rushdoony & his call for a theocratic state & Christianist Courts.
This Fool has just gotten the most attention for picketing funerals.
It's not even a matter of degree more a matter of publicity.

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:29

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:14PM
youngquinn_gw

You mean theres MORE ??!!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:18PM
jodik_gw

Oh, just what we need... a theocratic, extremist justice system.

How did religion and hate/prejudice get so intertwined?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:28PM
elvis

Jodi, this is nothing new, right? The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch trials, infidel v. christian, christian v. infidel, etc., ad nauseum.

I think people, any people tend to disagree with others when it comes to things that are important to them, and religion is one of those things.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:47PM
labrea_gw

And as an old History teacher Msgr Holland used to say "..& if necessary we will kill you (pause) IN HIS NAME"
He'd bow his head & smile (funny man, good teacher)

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 12:00AM
youngquinn_gw

a philosophical difference.
The Spanish Inquisition, Bl00dy mary burning Protestants, the Crusades etc all had one thing in common.

They were all performed by the prevailing Government.

here , in the case of the Westboro thing, you have the Governemtn of a country allowing it because of the constitutional requirements to allow free speech.

perhaps I am splitting hairs.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 1:45AM
labrea_gw

The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch trials, infidel v. christian, christian v. infidel, etc., ad nauseum
These occurred pretty much based on the ideas presented at the Council of Chalcedon that made the state subservient to the LAW OF GOD which gets truly muddled post Reformation and is present again in the Manhattan Declaration.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 5:41PM
brightonborn

Gee I thought this would have been great news to the CONSERVATIVES guess not. So dissapointed in you guys...again!

Wrong again is right!!

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:46PM
labrea_gw

Now Brighton if I can't goad then what pleassure is there being on this forum? Surely you of all people should know that.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Relevant quotes II
I have noticed that some have referenced this thread...
don_socal
Now THIS is a “hot topic”
.Better than a Rita’s water ice on 1st day of spring. Sorry...
Pidge
The Shocking Finding From the DOJ's Ferguson Report Not Noticed
The Shocking Finding From the DOJ's Ferguson Report...
chijim
Ever wonder what is in those semis with the American flags on them?
Up to 15 different chemicals in 55-gallon drums. (These...
Lena M
The U.S. in an Evil Axis, or So He Claims
When does one become a caricature of oneself? Netanyahu:...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Sponsored Products
Black Wildside Plus Classic 575 Blender
$329.99 | zulily
Tolomeo Mega With Table Clamp by Artemide
$700.00 | Lumens
Classico Small Polished Brass Outdoor Wall Mounted Lantern
$80.80 | Bellacor
Small Origami Throw Pillow Cover in Gray
| Dot & Bo
Banded Wall Torch by Hubbardton Forge
$254.00 | Lumens