Companion planting

RoseAbbeyMay 26, 2011

Last year, I planted 7 endless summer hydrangea around our 12ft octagon shape gazebo. I would like to plant something between the hydrangeas. Two reasons, one is I would like some color before the hydrangeas bloom and second, I dont think the hydrangeas will grow big enough to take up all the space between. One side of the gazebo gets morning sun, the other side afternoon sun, so I need something that likes both sun and partial shade. I would like a perennial. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

For the shady area, you could add Astilbe, Spicebush, and Summersweet, azaleas/rhododendrons, dwarf holly bushes, daffodils, camellias, hostas, heuchera, ferns, etc. On the sunnier side, you could add roses, daylilies, etc

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 7:11AM
RoseAbbey

luis, I am hoping to plant just one type of plant, one that will not take away from the beauty of the hydrangea once they are in bloom.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 2:09PM
mehearty(So ME z5a)

You could do knockout roses. Mine only get about 6 hours of sun and are quite happy. They bloom early and stay in bloom well into fall.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 5:02PM
luis_pr

Hmm, Knockout Roses will not work in the sunny part if roseabbey does not want the shrubs to take away from the hydrangeas in bloom.

Other part shade-full sun compact plants that may work are Amsonia Blue Ice, also called Blue Star Flower. It gives blue-ish/lavender flowers (yellow leaves in the Fall). Aquilegia is another plant you could research; it comes in pink & white, red & white; yellow; also called Origami Columbine.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 6:35PM
RoseAbbey

luis, the blue flower could definately be a contender.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:52AM
Hydrangea729(6A Ohio)

Annuals!

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™