Peas are up!

Maude_IA(z5-SE Iowa)April 2, 2004

Well, just the one that scouts for all the others, but I'm expecting to see more tomorrow.

Anyone else have veggies in action?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stan_ia_z4(z4 ia)

Mary, I started some "Yard Long Bean Pod" plants just to see if the germination was ok. They germinated and I tried transplanting them into larger pots and they are still living. Question is, will they transplant again (into the ground) and survive? At the rate they are growing, I may need a backhoe to transplant them. Stan

Bookmark   April 2, 2004 at 6:59PM
Maude_IA(z5-SE Iowa)

Stan, you might have a problem. Peas are more cold resistant than beans. If they were mine, I'd wait a week or two to plant them outside, and then I'd try just a couple of them at first. If they make it and the forecast is favorable, then I'd plant the others.
It would also help if they were in a sheltered, sunny location so the wind couldn't chill them.
Good luck!

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 7:50AM
sos_acres(Z5 SE IA)

Maude that is wonderful! When did you plant them.....and what else have you planted outside already?
I was going to wait until mid April to plant peas, spinach, radishes etc. outdoors....but you have just motivated me to get going sooner-thanks!
SOS

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 5:45PM
Maude_IA(z5-SE Iowa)

I planted the peas and some spinach seed late last week - maybe Friday? Right before it rained and got colder. I have only a small garden, so one packet of seed is too much for the space I have - that lets me take chances because I can replant if necessary.

I have some radishes out there, too, but they haven't shown up yet. I'd like to get my broccoli plants in the ground under jugs this week - I think they get larger and produce more if they are planted quite young.

I should tell you that the vegetable garden is up against the south side of the garage so it's sunny and protected from the wind. Also must confess that sometimes I lose things by planting too early, but if there is more seed, it's OK.

Bookmark   April 4, 2004 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
larryiniowa
AHS Convention Cedar Rapids iowa
The AHS Convention is in Cedar Rapids this year. Hosta's paws Here...
paws4pets
broadfork
Recently I have researched the benefits of preparing...
darren.1716
Bishops Weed (snow on the mountain)
I just planted some Bishops Weed that my Mom gave me....
GeeGee_
Wintering Plants
I have a couple of questions: 1) I have two pots of...
jbb2179
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™