Pink Sensation Hydrangea?

hvaldez(7)May 10, 2010

Like many mother's throughout the country, I received a hydrangea as a gift yesterday. The tag has very little info and only says "Pink Sensation". The plant has full gorgeous pink mop-head flowers and beautifully wrapped. I tried looking it up online but all I could find is a pink sensation hydrangea tree with cone shaped flowers not like the one I have. Does anyone know about the plant I received and whether it needs to be in shade, sun etc? I would like to plant it right now. This is my first post in this forum and look forward to any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is a type of macrophylla (bigleaf hydrangea) with bubblegum pink mophead flowers. Received inbloom now and as a gift plant, it is most likely a greenhouse grown or florist's plant and therefore has received a very coddled and sheltered life :-) It needs to be gradually transitioned to the outdoors before planting in the ground. Morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal or all day filtered shade. Moist but well-drained soil -- the same conditions for any other bigleaf hydrangea.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 10:23AM
hvaldez(7)

Thank you so much gardengal. I was hoping one of you super knowledgeable folks would cruise this forum. I was thinking the same thing about the whole greenhouse/florist treatment. I set it outside yesterday. I am thinking to plant it on the shady north facing side of the house.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:43PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

it may take a season or 3 before it preforms--be patient.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:16PM
ssc12560_yahoo_com

I also received one of these hydrangeas as a gift. It was beginning to look a little sick inside so I planted it outside in what seemed like an ideal spot, filtered sunlight in the morning and shade in the afternoon. It perked up that day and the next morning but by the afternoon, it looked wilted and sick again. I watered it again. Hope it looks better tomorrow, however I'm afraid it won't make it. :(

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 10:24PM
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

I planted an Easter issue: a "sheltered" Merritt's Supreme (probably similar to yours) - in full sun. Some of the "original" leaves began to turn dark and crack/wilt at the edges, but the newer leaves (since transplant) seem to be holding up. One thing I tried is a 2.5' long aluminum baking pan held to the ground and upright by metal stakes, shielding the young plant from afternoon sun. For the acclimation I gradually tilted it west to allow more and more sun to hit every few days. The wilt has greatly slowed now, even with the arrival of hotter and hotter days.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Sponsored Products
White PInk Purple Tiffany Victorian Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Amour Pastel Faux Flowers - MULTI COLORS
$335.00 | Horchow
Darya Rugs Arts and Crafts, Pink, 4'10" x 8'1" M1746-141
Darya Rugs
Neon Leopard 7-piece Bed in a Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Pink Rectangular Frame
$9.49 | zulily