Outwitting Squirrels

outwittingsquirrelsJanuary 15, 2013

I'm working on the third edition of my book, Outwitting Squirrels, and am looking for squirrel stories.

First published in 1988, Outwitting Squirrels, subtitled, 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels, is about how to keep squirrels out of birdfeeders and gardens. For some reason squirrels don't heed the signs that say "No Squirrels," and we have to deploy Plan B (not to mention Plan C, D, E, and every other plan) to thwart squirrels.)

Outwitting Squirrels talks about keeping squirrels from digging in gardens, too.

Have you had a successful, unsuccessful, or hysterical encounter with a squirrel? Has a squirrel ruined your day? Your week? Your life? Or have you fallen madly in love with the squirrel who comes to your porch each day, begging for nuts.

--Bill Adler

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've got your book...and just finished re-reading it!

My story is probably typical of many others. I had one of those squirrel proof feeders surrounded by wire cage. It worked great for awhile until one squirrel figured out how to get inside the feeder and all of his cronies took lessons.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 5:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

Just noticed your post, after I posted about tree squirrels eating our sweet corn last year. For the first week or two, we didn't know who the "varmints" were. But then my wife waited, watching the corn stalks for shaking. As soon as they were shaking, we both ran out, to see 5 gray squirrels hopping through the , back to where ever they live.

Completely different story, I have cut large trees down (with squirrels in them). They can jump 50-60 feet to the ground, then just run away. Really amazing.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
is neem oil or azamax harmful to lacewings?
I have a terrible problem with white flies in my entire...
luvpatch2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™