mosquito vac

jacobs(4a ne iowa)May 14, 2003

I posted this question on another forum also but since we have an Iowa forum,-- Has anyone had experienc or heard reports how effective the mosquito vacuum is?

They are sold by Sam's Club just under $400 and use propane, scent, and a vacuum to trap mosquitoes.

I know it"s not a "Green" solution but with the West nile virus here it would be better than the alternative.

They are supposed to keep one acre clear and need servic only every 3 weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Baumer(z5 Ia)

Haven't heard of them. We give our animal dogs,turkeys, and pigeons a little bit of cider vinegar in their water. Keeps skeeters and gnats from biting them. And with all the rain we're getting. Will have them around this year.

Bookmark   May 15, 2003 at 7:40AM
BelgianRose

Another product I saw advertised for the first time is "Mosquito-B-Gone," which can be sprayed in the yard.

Trish

Bookmark   May 15, 2003 at 6:32PM
onyamark(NE)

Friend has one that says is really wipes out those mosquito's. Works on same idea as Mosquito Magnet. This is a fairly new product though and is cheaper than the M.M. I'm thinking of getting one myself, the SV-27 is $339 good for 1 acre, free shipping. I just started investigating today, found good site here:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/mosquito_exterminators.asp?CMP=KNC-googleaw

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 7:28AM
dhaven(z5 IA)

I'd be hesitant to buy anything that claims to attract mosquitos with scent--the only thing that draws them is the carbon monoxide that's exhaled when you breathe. They aren't attracted to odors at all. Wish they were--I swear they are hungrier this year than I've ever seen them before--and I grew up in Minnesota, where the mosquito is the unofficial state bird!

Bookmark   June 16, 2004 at 11:16PM
diannp

This first batch of Mosquitos are always the worst. Seems like after this bunch they settle down a bit.. I'm still wearing deet, tho..

Diann
IA Z5a
ps. West Nile has been detected in Linn County again..

Bookmark   June 17, 2004 at 3:21PM
raidr4lyfe35_yahoo_com

I purchased a SkeeterVac two years ago. It worked great for one season. It caught more mosquitoes than I could count and we had a pleasant experience in the back yard for that hot Texas summer. But for $300, you would expect the product will work for more than one season. Don't waste your time trying to repair them. Instead, you buy a refurbished unit for half the price and they take your old one. The propane tanks add up because they last 3 weeks. I found this blog because I am looking for one that lasts for years instead of just one season. Before you buy one, make sure to read the reviews.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
broadfork
Recently I have researched the benefits of preparing...
darren.1716
Iowa Newbie
I've become very interested in shade gardening and...
bishop5
Harry lauder's Walking Stick
I have discovered that our two dogs decided to chew...
mcraney
Potato Onions..
Hi All, I have been looking into perennial onions and...
gaiamech
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™