Burrowing flies? What are these?

BrittBurkMay 22, 2013

I noticed a large amount of small holes popping up in my raised beds over the last few weeks and I was just wondering if anybody could help me identify these guys?

The holes:

The bugs:
Close up of the bug:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sirmatthew(4 - Iowa)

I am wondering if those could be Cluster flies? I looked for flies that have overlapping wings - not a common thing. I've seen holes like those, and I KNOW I have seen flies (or whatever they are) like them. I used insecticidal soap to get rid of them. I just sprayed it in the hole and any that were around.

Here is a link that might be useful: UMN link.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:01PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
Bishops Weed (snow on the mountain)
I just planted some Bishops Weed that my Mom gave me....
Potato Onions..
Hi All, I have been looking into perennial onions and...
Wintering Plants
I have a couple of questions: 1) I have two pots of...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™