Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?

Skigirlf9(6)May 26, 2014

I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my tomatoes March 30th in organic starting mix for transplanting this Memorial Day weekend. They seemed to have started out ok. They got leaves quickly. Then I believe I should have repotted then but got sick for almost a month and I did not. The stems and leaves of all the seedlings turned purple. I fertilized 5 days ago with Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed fertilizer and the seedlings seemed to have a growth spurt but not too much and the color is still purple. They are between 3-4 inches tall. I hardened them off and popped them into the beds yesterday. I planted the stem down into the soil because I read that is good for strong rooting. Can my plants come back from their small and purple state now that the are in the bed? I was thinking about fertilizing again in a few days. I would like to buy seedlings from the garden store if these don't seem salvageable but I'm just not sure and I would hate to have wasted the effort. Any easy tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

How are they doing? I'm in central Nebraska and our tomatoes out here are slow taking off. It's been so cool. Only 3 of my plants are even blooming. I know the last 2 days of hot weather perked them up although it didn't do much for me!
Heidi

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Potato Onions..
Hi All, I have been looking into perennial onions and...
gaiamech
Peach Tree for Iowa
What would be a good variety of peach to plant here?...
iris321
When to pick rhubarb?
I live in Davenport, and am wondering when I should...
qcmike30
Iowa Newbie
I've become very interested in shade gardening and...
bishop5
About Dipstick!
Hi All, Does anyone know if this comes with the watering...
IrrigationSystem00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™