New to hydroponics

pcola27March 12, 2010

Greetings all,

And thanks for this forum. I have been reading it all morning and it is wonderful! I am dipping my toes into hydroponics and have choosen the bato bucket system. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. I have purchased 2 resevoirs rubbermain rough totes 35 gal each. I have two because my learning determined I need different nutrient for greens vs veggies. Is that true? I plan on 8 buckets and yes we are making the system ourselves! We plan to put it in out screen room in Fl that faces south east. Do screens affect sunlight?

Sorry so many questions. I am hoping to plant lettuce, 2 types, tomatoes, red peppers, jalpenos, snow peas, asapargus, and various herbs in one bucket. Am I planning ok to far? Are any compatible for one resevoir or another? I am leaning towards hydroton for the containers, any better ideas? I also purchased how to hydroponic by Keith Roberto, great book by the way.

The information I have read on this forum has been very knowledgable and helpful! Thanks again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
urbangardenfarmer

Yes greens and veggies take different amounts of nutrients. The greens will need more nitrogen, while the veggies will need more phosphorus and potassium.

The screen shouldn't affect the plants growth, as long as no trees are in the way. It will also help keep larger bugs out, but you will still need to watch for the smaller bugs(thrips,spider mites,ect.)

You will want to put your lettuce, peas and herbs on one reservoir and all the other veggies on the other. I'm guessing you system will be flood and drain? Hydroton works great, but since it will be outside in hot weather, I recommend mixing some coco coir in the hydroton so the medium will hold moisture longer. Otherwise, you will be flooding once or twice an hour. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 8:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pcola27

Thank you urbangardenfarmer!

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Hydroponic Strawberries Questions
I have quite a few questions. I've watched a lot of...
NuclearTech76
beginner needs help growing english ivy hydroponically
I'm doing a little experiment with growing English...
jentsu926
cilantro grow questions
I am new to hydroponics and thought i would start with...
morb1lee
Pepper Plant Fruiting
Hi, I am wondering if I can keep continuously fruiting...
StonedTree
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
Sponsored Products
Floral Pendant - Black - David Trubridge
$630.00 | HORNE
GAN | Butterfly Blue Rug
YLiving.com
Courtly Check Paper Towel Holder
$70.00 | Horchow
5-Pc. Poolside Lounge Set in Coffee/Turquoise
Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Circle of Palms Coral/Ivory
Home Depot