Is this a stinkbug? (does not stink)

sleevendogFebruary 10, 2014

I'm in NY, just north of the city. Starting finding these in the house last year...just one at a time. Now one or two a day usually sluggish, just a slow crawl. Rarely flying, but will take a spin banging on the kitchen light at night.
But they do not stink. At all.
Looks like a stinkbug but i keep reading that they stink.

I have a vague memory that it might be something eating my home, like what carpenter bees do.

Can't find a source. Or entry, or where they are nesting or reproducing...One or two a day exactly the same size.
About a half an inch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog

When i came across this...

"A few species of stink bugs do not feed on plants. They are predators of insects that attack plants. These predatory stink bugs have been found feeding on velvet bean caterpillars, root weevils, Colorado potato beetles and southern green stink bugs. Because of this, most gardeners consider the predatory stink bugs to be beneficial."

...i thought i should try and get a better ID.
So i started a bit of garden on the kitchen counter from some produce to see if they would be attracted to it. One did spend some time on the celery but not for long.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 10:11PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Looks kind of like a stinkbug, but then there are many insects that kind of resemble them.

Here is a link that might be useful: stinkbug images

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 6:56AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It looks to me like a western conifer seed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis) which like to winter over in houses. They don't always stink, but if startled or squished, they smell to me like rotten mint which I find unpleasant, so I tend to carefully pick them up and dump them outside into a snowbank to freeze. They feed on needles of pines and spruces and don't harm people.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 7:20AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It's a stinkbug.
And the white bands on the antennae indicate it's a brown marmorated stink bug.
BMSB for short.
The technical name Halyomorpha halys.

In the eastern US, it's serious nuisance insect during fall and winter and a nasty plant pest during the growing season.

They don't feed at this time of year; they just hang out in sheltered sites -- including your house -- until spring arrives.

See info here: How to ID BMSB
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/identify.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ID BMSB

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 1:02

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 1:00AM
sleevendog

Yup, BMSB. Thanks for the link. I found that as well. I could send a few in to them but i'm sure they have plenty at this point and are well aware of the invasion.
Just curious now why they don't stink. Perhaps they are just sluggish right now and not at all threatened because we are so kind, even apologetic...(haha)

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
is neem oil or azamax harmful to lacewings?
I have a terrible problem with white flies in my entire...
luvpatch2
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™