Attracting parasitic wasps for leaf miner control?

delta_charlie(Z9)March 16, 2006

Hi all, I'm trying to get a handle on leaf miners. They are really messing with my tomatoes and other garden plants.

Anybody know of ways I should look at to attract some of the Parasitic wasps (parasitoids) of the families Braconidae, Eulophidae, and Pteromalidae?

Thanks, DC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

Here is a little info on braconids I found on the web. Generally, I believe adult parisitic wasps are nectar, pollen feeders. It has a few recommended plants you could try mixing in with your garden.

"Adult Braconids feed on nectar, honeydew, or pollen before laying eggs. Dill, parsley, yarrow, zinnia, clover, alfalfa, parsley, cosmos, sunflower, and marigold are flowering crops that attract the native braconid populations and provide good habitats for them."

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 11:38AM
delta_charlie(Z9)

Hi Ginkgonut and the group, thanks for the info. I was getting ready to plant lots of golden guardian marigolds in my fall garden bed in an effort to try and reduce the root knot nematodes in this bed. This bed is close to the spring garden that has the leaf miner problems. Maybe I can take care of two problems at the same time. The guardian marigolds are suppose to be very effective against RKN. If they help attract the wasp too how can you beat that?

Sure hope it works, DC

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 6:35AM
julieann_grow

I have a question about marigolds. I planted all over my garden this Spring, interspersed between all the plants. They look great, but I have not seen any insects landing on them. They land on all the other flowers, especially the ones with small petals and nectar. I wondered if is because marigolds don't have nectar or do they?

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
larve identification
i have a organic compost pile. years of success. i...
bob41
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™