bamboo

Lifeguard10June 27, 2013

There is a type of bamboo that grows wild in iowa. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some or if someone had some that they wouldn't mind parting with a small off shoot or something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawki(5a)

You sure you want that in your garden? It's VERY aggressive, and VERY hard to get rid of. I don't know where you live; for a long time there's been a big patch of it along the river in Iowa City behind Pleasant Valley Nursery, which I assume is still there- I haven't happened to look down there for a couple of years.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
Lifeguard10

I do know how aggressive it is. I will give it a try. So would it be near that little water way that runs behind it or more towards the river?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:05AM
Lifeguard10

Is it pleasant valley nursery just out of town close to the river or pleasant valley garden center in town next to the river?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:53AM
hawki(5a)

It's the garden center, it was next to the little waterway right by the trail. As mentioned, I hadn't happened to glance down there for a couple of years to notice if it's still there (floods or construction could have removed it); but I just looked at the area on Google street view, and I don't see it; so probably gone... they must have done some clearing out and removed it. I always wondered if it was something that escaped from Pleasant Valley Nursery. Next time I'm on the Highway 6 bridge I'll check it out and if it's still there I'll repost. I have a small, bicolored foliage (yellow/green) bamboo in my garden, and it wanders everywhere and is about impossible to get rid of.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:42AM
lkz5ia

Have never had a bamboo invasive problem in the near decade I have grown it. Weather and mower can keep it in check very easily in our climate. I could see in more southern climates where 50' shoots jumping out of the ground in a month or 2 could be a little more tricky to handle.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 12:24AM
rwallen1961(Iowa City, IA Zone 5)

The bamboo that was next to Iowa City Landscaping on Highway 6 is long gone. Was an old house there with the bamboo spread for the most part all over their lawn. They tore that house down and it's now a parking lot and the bamboo is all gone.

Luckily, I managed to get a piece while they were in demo mode and have it at my place in Iowa City. Trust me, it spreads and is VERY aggressive.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Looking 4 Dutch White Clover Seed
I'm planning to add some clover back into the sunny...
iowa50126
Bishops Weed (snow on the mountain)
I just planted some Bishops Weed that my Mom gave me....
GeeGee_
Iowa Newbie
I've become very interested in shade gardening and...
bishop5
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
LarryInIowa
drought
Hi,Is anyone thinking about how to adapt your gardens...
715rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™