Hydrangea, Twist & Shout

bellarosa(z4-5/IL)May 14, 2014

Hi,

Is anyone in Zone 5 growing this hydrangea? I planted two of them last year in the Fall, in my Zone 5 garden. They have come back, but the growth is small and slow. I was wondering if I can expect to get any growth this year from them. If you grow this hydrangea, can you please share your experience with it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I have it, and it has survived and bloomed, but hasn't gotten too large yet. It is just starting its third season in the garden, but it is in too much shade and I think I will need to move it to get a bit more sun. It is currently just starting to push out leaves.

In general for me both H. paniculata and H. macrophylla plants have been slow to start the first couple of years, but once they get their roots well established, they take off and grow well their third season. Almost all mine have started life as very small plants or rooted cuttings in pots of a quart size or smaller.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 8:56PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

For me after this winter partial die back but regrowth and loaded with buds. A star here!

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:35PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

I experienced a zone 4-5 winter and all macs were leveled. But they're regenerating. The advantage of TnS is that it's remontant (new wood bloomer/rebloomer).

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 1:23PM
bellarosa(z4-5/IL)

Thanks everyone for the info. I hope mine bloom. it was so pretty last year. if it does bloom, i'll try and post some pics. :-)

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 3:16PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Blooms well but here I can't get it to stop wilting if the sun hits it - and I'm in the dullest metropolitan area in the country. I have also noticed a local vendor displaying it in more shade than their other hydrangeas. On the other hand there is a row of it between a south-facing wall and a driveway at another property in my town.

Have never seen these wilted during numerous trips by in the car.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™