will neem oil kill beneficial insects

Terri_Barnes(z6 Kentucky)March 30, 2005

I have spider mites in my grow room on my freesias and anemones and I have ordered green lace wings and lady bugs. But it will be a few days until I get them. So my question is does anybody know if Neem oil will kill these beneficial insects if I don't spray them, and the Neem oil was sprayed several days before they are released.

Any help appreciated

Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drbugman(Zone 7 MD)

Terri,
You should be OK. I checked the Koppert site (see the link below). The active ingredient in neem oil will kill less than 25% of the green lacewing larvae (which are much better to release than the green lacewing eggs, especially outdoors) ON CONTACT and persists for "zero" weeks. The Biobest site: http://207.5.71.37/biobest/en/neven/default.asp
states that the active ingredient kills less than 25% of the ADULT green lacewings but doesn't mention the larvae. Neither provides information about lady beetles. I know of a few rare cases both in the scientific literature and in greenhouses (the only location in which I recommend releasing lady beetles due to their tendency to disperse) where there was some kill of adult lady beetles that received a direct application, but the residual wasn't a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Koppert Side Effects

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 11:30AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Neem is a broad spectrum insecticide which means it will kill anything that ingests it, but it is fairly short term breaking down in 5 to 7 days. There does seem to be an adverse affect on beneficial insects that ingest a target pest that has ingested Neem.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 7:22AM
PABuglady(6a)

we use neem often in bio control programs in commercial nursery production. I will kill on contact but doe not leave a long residual.

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
What animal is digging this?
Saw this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad,...
JackOfSomeTrades
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™