Evergreens

Lizzy5225(z4 IA)June 6, 2006

I planted black hills evergreens 3 years ago and have had no trouble with browning until this year. One tree is completely brown except for the bottom 2 branches that are very green. What could be the problem. I have already fed with granules this spring.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jspece(Josh - z4 IA)

I think our extremely mild January is responsible for a lot of the odd winter kill we are seeing in some of the woody plants. They started to switch into growth mode when it was so warm, but it turned cold again in February...freeze/thaw like that can be disasterous for plants.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your tree is a goner. Unless you see new growth on the brown branches, it will never recover. Conifers can not regrow from a brown, dead branch.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 4:14PM
Lizzy5225(z4 IA)

Does that mean that on a tree that has one brown branch, the rest will die? If not, should I cut that branch?
Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 5:01PM
jspece(Josh - z4 IA)

A single (or few) brown branches are not life threatening to a good sized tree. I would wait a few more weeks to see if the branch puts out any new growth on the tips. If it does, leave it. If the branch is dead, you can remove it. In time, the bare hole should fill in with surrounding branches.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
wanting to kill grass and weeds.
I live in south east Iowa. I fenced in an area for...
Iowacass
Needing Plant Recommendations
I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn....
rosekrazy
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
Knockout Roses
How do I know if this winter froze my knockout bushes?...
bluey48
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™