Mosquitoes

gunnysackMarch 18, 2004

Mosquitoes: They are back. Last year we really didn't enjoy the yard because of them. Spray did no good. The good bugs and birds left. I don't want to spray. We don't have standing water. I have cut away underbrush and most of the ground cover. What can I do? Is there something to plant to repell them? suggestions please

K.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

I would think it's a tad early for mosquitoes.

But midges are out and about. And, although midges can be extremely numerous, they don't bite. Bottom line is that they're considered a nuisance for people, but an important food source for other creatures.

Bookmark   March 19, 2004 at 8:25PM
Dorie_in_Alabama(7a)

I agree. Midges are often mistaken for mosquitoes. However, if you are actually being bitten.....then it is not midges. Removal of groundcover and undergrowth have eliminated insects and birds.

Check your neighborhood for standing water. Could be ponds, golf course lagoons, drainage ditches,etc. Larvacides are the best method of control in those situations. Also, leaf filled gutters, tree holes, bird baths, plant saucers, and other hidden sources of stagnant water create mosquito habitat. Spray your clothes liberally with a repellant before you go outside.

There are no plants that have been proven to be mosquito repellers, that I know of. There are plenty that are ADVERTISED as such but they do not work.

Bookmark   March 20, 2004 at 6:29PM
pmoorekc(6/Kansas City)

We have found Off mosquito lanterns help. They put out smoke, which may be the main deterrent. A columnist in this morning's paper said she uses incense sticks, which also smoke. Says they work like a charm.

Bookmark   July 11, 2004 at 5:45PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Build a screen porch. What a relief and you can stay outdoors till all hours and hear the owls hoot.

Bookmark   July 12, 2004 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™