white line sphinx moth- case of mistaken identity?

katydid85(8)April 7, 2013

While I've been vegetable gardening for years, my insect identification skills have been clearly lacking...

What I have been dubbing a "hornworm moth", and smashing on sight, I have now correctly identified it as a white lined sphinx moth. Are these detrimental to vegetable crops? and are their larvae similar to a tomato hornworm?

I'm a first year market grower, and was terrified I had a huge population of hornworm moths emerging. I'm getting hundreds a week on our patio, and would like to know if these are BENEFICIAL insects or not.Thank you in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

White Lined Sphinx moths are also known as Hummingbird Moths and the larva of these sphinx moths grow on and eat a variety of what we call "weeds" so they are known as a beneficial moth.
Because the Tobacco, or Tomato, Hornworn is the larva of members of the sphinx moth family many people think all pf the sphinx moth family is a pest, although there are also those that think that the Hummingbird Moths come from the larva of the Carolina Sphinx or the Five Spotted Hawkmoth, both sphinx moths and the parents of the Tobacco, Tomato, hornworm.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

So, you're sure about the ID of your Sphinx moth? Just checking. The larvae of most Sphingidae have a horn, making them pretty recognizable; they are often pretty large, as well.

If yours is really the Whitelined Sphinx moth, it enjoys a wide range of host plants, something a bit unusual in this family. I've identified them on oaks and elms, tomatoes, and even portulaca but they can also be
found on many other plants. If populations are high, they can be a pest of tomatoes, grapes, and other crops. Yes...I said tomatoes.

The "beneficial " aspect is complex but you should try to understand it as much as possible. These moths visit an enormous variety of flowers, especially those that become strongly scented at night. Therefore, they are pollinators. It's the larvae that can cause problems IF your crops are their host plants AND they are in large enough numbers. Accurate ID is very important.

As a market grower, you need to find dependable information resources for insect identification. If you can provide pretty good pictures, you have a much better chance at getting some accurate information. Not just here in the Gardenweb but at your Extension office and other places.

I'll be happy to help when I can....just post in here or email.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
is neem oil or azamax harmful to lacewings?
I have a terrible problem with white flies in my entire...
luvpatch2
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Sponsored Products
LED WAC White Glass Track Head for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Moon Valley Adirondack End Table - M1800-UNFINISHED
$91.99 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi Thick Weave 34 in. O
Home Depot
Hand-tufted Fenway Black Wool Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
Manhattan Dark Bronze Modern Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Collection Cabinets Chelsea 24 in. W Wall Cabinet with Towel
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™