Porcupines

Charl_CT(Cape Town)April 20, 2005

Ideas on discouraging these creatures would be appreciated as they have taken a great liking to the bulbs (naturally occuring) that I have in my garden.

My problem is that I have Proteas which die off once their roots are disturbed. I have even lost lavenders and rosemary bushes because of the deep excavations made. It is impractical to fence them all. Also, I don't want to fence the entire garden as I don't want to create a prison system for the other creatures that inhabit it or pass through.

Anybody have a design for a trap? The best solution would be to trap them and release them in a nearby nature reserve.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Well, this is a new one! Just what do South African porcupines look like? I expect that they are different from the typical species we might find in NA?

I did a quick search and it seems that porcupines can be a problems over here, too. They respond very well to the predator scent repellents. Wolf, coyote, and fox urines are very popular repellents for lots of creatures and work very successfully.

Unless your SA porcies have no natural predators, I feel sure that this might be a better way to go rather than trapping.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 6:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Maybe in SA there is the equivalent to wolf, coyote and fox urines -- Cape hunting dog urine? Hyena urine? Lion urine? Jackal urine? Those probably would work to deter a SA "porker." I have seen the SA species. It shares a lot of similarities to our North American one, and perhaps share a common ancestor from back when Africa and South America were one landmass 40 million years ago.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food Grade for pests?
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food...
pectin232
What animal is digging this?
Saw this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad,...
JackOfSomeTrades
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™