Wilting plants

rrothrockMarch 20, 2006

I have just transferred some plants to a hydroponic setup (my first try at this) about 1 week ago. The plants took to their new home OK at first, but in the last few days they are wilting more and more. I suspect it is lack of oxygen, but I wanted to seek out some other opinions.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klein

You could get a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester to see if you are starving your plants, or burning them with too much nutrients. Also, check your pH and make sure it's in the right range, maybe 6.5? Lastly, are the roots getting wet? I know that seems simple but it's another thing to check. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 11:26AM
jimr007

Hi Rrothrock,

I doubt if you are starving your plants, but it is quite likely that you are burning them with too much nutrient as Klein above suggests. When the pH is severely out of range, you might be burning them, but if the pH is out of the range of 6.4 plus or minus about 0.3, your plants will generally stop active growth as they are unable to obtain soluble Iron.

To see an explanation for this, please see my Australian web site below.

If you save each page as its own name, on to your computer, all in the one directory, then you will be able to navigate from page to page when you are off-line.

Go to the page "Plant Foods" and see what it says about Iron in the "Minor Elements".
Then go 3/4 of the way down the "FAQ" page and look at "What is the Importance of Iron in Plant Growth?"

Cheers,
Jimr007
Australia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Sand Hydroponics

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 7:00AM
baci(z10Ca)

Why do you suspect it is lack of oxygen? Are you using an air stone? Also, what was the transfer from  water to nutrient solution, soil based to water, or soil to nutrient solution? Were any roots damaged in the transfer?

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™