What's wrong with it??? (pic included)

mindle72(5-6)May 18, 2010

I planted this forever and ever hydrangea last spring and don't understand why it's still so small. It totally died off over the winter and just seems to be growing at snail speed. It's getting partial sun (west facing) but it's been pretty gloomy around here. I also have one in the back that's even smaller. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidacea

nothing's wrong...a couple of my FE&E had significant winter dieback this yr...they are all leaving out pretty much like yours...pretty much all the old woods from last yr was dried and dead, so I cut them out already..but the plants are leaving out very nice at the crown - just like yours...no worry...I got my FE&E from a grower friend from one gallon pots, took them a while to get big...now the winter setback, so the plants could still compact for some time to come...so if you start your FE&E from an one-gallon pot size, have patience...

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 7:05PM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

I agree with the above statement also. Along with that your hydrangea should get eastern sun. It will always suffer from evening sun in the heat of the summer.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:16PM
mindle72(5-6)

Thank you both for your responses. The one I have in the back getting Eastern sun is really small. We are planning to get some trees this year so hopefully the sun won't fry it.

Really appreciate the help!

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™